Friday, October 26, 2012

Yippe Kai Yay



                It is 2150. A deadly gas attack by foreign invaders has turned everyone into nocturnally violent zombies. My dog and I are the lone survivors of the attack. The setting is the abandoned New York City.
Every fiber of my existence was focused on the buck through my rifle scope. I could feel my faithful companion, Murphy, at my side, alert and ready to finish the kill if my shot failed to do so. The tip of my rifle moved with the breeze, constantly trained on the target weaving through abandoned cars and wreckage. I tightened my finger around the trigger as the head of the buck rose from over a rusted Mercedes. Murphy, prematurely sensing the kill, gave an excited yelp and took off in full pursuit of the deer. “MURPHY NO”, I screamed. A chase driven by adrenaline and the will for fresh meat might lead her to one of the houses. I watched her leap over the wreckage which used to be NYC in pursuit of fresh meat. I could see her spine stretch and then collapse with each massive bound. Nature’s own accordion. The speed of my heartbeat soon matched the speed of her footfalls. Her agility and strength, however, was no match for the buck and his adaptation to the old city.
In his attempt at escape he darted into an old warehouse, Murphy not far behind, nipping at his heels. I tried yelling again, but to no avail. My heart led me like a magnet towards where Murphy had disappeared. My worst fears were confirmed upon reaching the warehouse. From outside I could hear the faint sounds of panting and moaning and the smell of rotting flesh filled my nostrils. The sweat dripped off the back of my neck as I ran to the entrance. The thought of what was inside didn’t even cause me to break stride as I rushed into the deathly fray.
“murphy…. Murphy”. My voice, rough and gravely with fear, rang out like a bell through the quarters. My boots squished through layers of what I thought to be blood, flesh, and rotting animals. Moving cautiously now, holding my breath so as to allow my ears to pick up even the slightest sounds of danger, I slowly walked through the entrance of the warehouse. The glow from my rifle light reflected the mold, blood and roaches on the wall. On the opposite side of the room there was a door, half off its hinges. The sounds of panting were growing louder. My footpace quickened. I had to call out again. I had to. “murphy”, I whispered, “here girl”.
The light on my rifle led me like a tunnel to where I knew I had to go. The door was nearing now. 15ft. The noise was louder now. 10ft. The smell of rotting flesh stronger now. 5 ft. The desire to get my dog back, strongest now.
As I crept around the corner, barring the light from the rifle with my hand I knew I had reached their labyrinth. Their presence could be felt all around me. Still hoping for the best I slowly released the rifle light. At first, the image was dim. Just blank huddled outlines of figures. In a sudden burst of light I saw everything. The zombies, crouched in a circle over my animal like savages. Their sickly grey-black skin stretched taught over their bodies, their hands covered in the blood and gore of the only sanity left in my world. Like a slow motion film, I saw their heads turn and lift from their savagery gorge to stare at me greedily with their sunken cheekbones, bald heads and red, golf ball sized eyes.
I closed my eyes, heard the rambunctious scuffle towards me, whispered “I love you Murphy…yippe kai yay mother F&%$ers”, and sprayed the room with bullets.

No comments:

Post a Comment