Friday, September 7, 2012

What is Humanity?


My first question after watching this video for the first time was “what does humanity even mean?”   After I looked it up, I found out that all it meant was “all human beings collectively”.   Which surprised me, because that seemed too simple.  Then I decided to watch the video again, to get a better understanding of what was said by Aaron Koblin in this video, because I obviously did not understand it.  He carried out many experiments that display the exact definition of humanity today.  The idea behind the video was a lot simpler than I thought it was and I was just thinking about it too much. 
            Every day, people are using technology all the time.  From texting your friends on the latest phone, to checking Facebook on your laptop, or even just completing homework assignments for a class.  Technology has become a normal occurrence in today’s humanity.  These projects allow us to visualize more clearly how humanity is in this day and age.  As the technology develops further, humans still continue to work together and be collectively one body just as before these technologies even occurred.  The advances in technology could even allow for more outlets and more opportunities for people to work together to accomplish bigger things, as shown in Aaron Koblin’s projects. His collaborative projects show that with either for the motivation of two cents or the motivation of helping to put together a music video for one of you favorite singers, people are willing to put forth effort to be a small part of a big picture.  As Aaron Koblin says, “An interface can be a powerful narration device.”  These interfaces of everyone’s added effort can help to tell the story behind a music video, or help sing a song, or make an archive of sheep.  Today’s humanity is very enveloped in technology.  

No comments:

Post a Comment