Writing has always been
a touchy subject for me in the past. A lot of the time, I loathe it. Don’t get
me wrong, it’s not like I hate classes like English or History, where you’re
most likely to have to write a paper or an essay. In fact they’re some of my
favorite classes from a purely learning perspective. But the writing…
The funny thing is, if
I actually enjoy what I’m writing about, or at least find it interesting, I’ll
tear through an essay like it’s nothing. Same way with reading. If somebody
asked me if I liked reading, I would say no. Ask me how long it took me to read
all 3700 pages of the seven books in Steven King’s The Dark Tower series, and I’d tell you 4 days.
I’ve written many types of pieces, ranging
from a research paper on the impact of the Christian Church on scientific
advancement in the last 2 millennia, to a public policy paper on the
implementation of sustainable nuclear power, to literature analysis on Falkner’s
As I Lay Dying, the list goes on. It really
doesn’t matter what kind of writing it is. I can find enjoyment in anything, or
I can hate it to death, it all depends on my interest level. Except poetry. I
have never been able to stand poetry. But these particular pieces are ones that
stand out in my mind. Partially that’s because they were some of my best works,
but also it’s because I had the most fun writing them.
But no matter what,
whether I enjoy what I’m writing about or not, one thing will probably always
be true. I’m not doing it until I absolutely have to. And that doesn’t go for
just writing; that’s everything. I am one of the worst procrastinators you’ll
ever meet. I mean, come on, I’m still writing this with half an hour left
before it’s due. Luckily, I’ve learned to cope with my procrastination and
channel the pressure that’s developed from the time constraints I create for
myself into better, more efficient work. And I honestly have come to believe that
my work is better when I absolutely have to do it at that moment, no if’s or
but’s about it. Otherwise I’ll sit around, telling myself I’m doing work, when
I’m actually just browsing the internet.
So basically, for me at
least, writing can really suck. It tends to be one of those things I over think
and start freaking out about because I don’t want to start doing it. But if I
go about it in a way that works for me, and the topic is just right, I usually
even surprise myself with what I end up with.
No comments:
Post a Comment