Thursday, September 13, 2012

Reflecting on my Writing Experiences

I have always considered English to be one of my weakest subjects.  That being said, I have mixed feelings about my experiences from my previous english classes.  On one hand, I have learned a lot about writing and improved my vocabulary, which makes me sound more intelligent when I speak.  However, I get stressed out easily from essays and often times I have found myself reading a book or story that I did not enjoy whatsoever.  My junior year and senior year english classes in high school were probably the most important for me as a writer.  Writing a well structured paper became easy to me and I really honed in my writing skills those years.

 Attending community college for my freshmen year at college, I took English Composition and felt comfortable with the writing I did thanks to my previous two English classes.  While I was still a freshmen, I took Psych 101.  This class required some writing and from turning in rough drafts, my professor really helped me cut down on unnecessary words and sentences.  Reflecting on this course, I learned how to be more effective and direct with my writing.  Throughout my classes, I have written essays that range from cause and effect, compare and contrast, and reflection to definition and research papers.  The maximum length I have had to write for one paper was six to eight pages.

Honestly, my writing process could use some improvement.  I would rate my writing process about a two or three on a scale from one to ten.  Basically, only giving myself more than a one because I usually finish the paper on time with writing that pleases me.  Where do I go wrong? Well, I procrastinate about every other essay I do.  When I do start to write I usually have the TV on because the noise helps calm me down.  Then I take frequent breaks after finally writing a couple of sentences.  I have tried to write in a library where it is quiet and almost distraction free, but it did not appear to improve my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment