Thursday, September 13, 2012

My Necessary Evil


Writing has always been a necessary evil to me. I understand the importance of it, but I do not like to do it in the least bit. I have written a number of papers from rhetorical analyses to autobiographies. The most I have ever written was a 60-page autobiography. I am not a person that will “beat around the bush”; I like to get straight at the point I am trying to make. I can usually achieve making my point within a few sentences, but my past English teachers have always told me that that type of brevity is not allowed. In almost every paper I write I do thorough research on my subject because I can usually incorporate that research into my writing, which will decrease its brevity.  
I am the type of person who is constantly taking in and analyzing all of my surroundings and because of this I have to have complete silence while I write. Only in complete silence can I think deeply about what I am writing and come up with a well thought-out paper. Procrastination is key in my writing process as well. I actually just stopped doing it to write this. When I know I only have a little bit of time left to do something it causes me to focus more on what ever it is and in turn put more effort into it. I absolutely can’t allow myself to do anything else while I write with the exception of looking up how to spell words because I am an awful speller. My writing process usually involves an actual written first draft, as apposed to a typed one. I know I could save time if I went ahead and typed my papers, but since I am faster at writing than typing I can formulate ideas and write them down faster than I can type them. This is crucial because I will forget an idea in a heartbeat if I do not write it down quick enough. My writing process might seem unconventional but it is what works best for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment