Thursday, September 13, 2012

English, do you speak it?


     There are many things in life that I am good at. I‘m great at math, I’m great at physics, I can sing, dance act, and I can take apart an engine and put it back together in fifteen minutes. I am not good at writing, a fact I have grown to accept. Don’t get me wrong, I am capable of putting words to paper, but it takes a while and the end result is rarely tolerable. I have a tendency to go full steam of consciousness when writing, which can make my work extremely hard to follow. I’m also just a little bit dyslexic and my typing speed doesn’t keep up with my thinking speed. As such I end up with a lot of spelling and grammatical mistakes that I have to correct after typing. I’ve had to do a bit of writing in my life, during high school I was in a magnet program which required students to perform a large science project our sophomore and junior years, as such I’ve written two research papers each coming out to about twenty pages long. My writing process is, well, it’s a pain. I can’t just sit down and write. I mean, I can but it isn’t pretty. I write in short stints of about 15 to 30 minutes then I get up and do anything other than think about my paper. I get writers block very easily and can very well stare at a blank page for three hours before typing a word. I don’t not enjoy writing and have dabbled in writing for fun, I made some headway writing a fantasy series in middle school and have dungeon mastered for a couple Dungeon and Dragon groups, but I prefer to play a character normally. Recently I’ve found that I am much better with expressing my creative side through other arts like acting or drawing. All in all I am not an English oriented person and am not skilled at writing essays.
                                                                                                                                                        ~Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment