Friday, November 16, 2012

Redfern is bananas

After watching a few videos that were filmed on iphones I found a video talking about (and mostly singing about) the  horrors of Redfern. in the first few seconds I was going to close out of it because of the poor acting and almost zero commitment to character of the 3 girls in the first scene. But I kept watching because in the second scene they show a Redfern "doctor" telling a student they have a crack in their skull and have to go to hospital. I've never been to Redfern personally but from what I heard students have been told things just as audacious as a cracked skull before. In following scenes they show multiple students going to Redfern and having ridiculous things happen to them like a male being asked if hes pregnant or a girl being given numerous prescriptions for a cold. As the video progressed I realized how good it was, not for its quality or validity but because these students were openly insulting a campus service and going to some length to do so. Whether or not what they were actually saying was true or not i do not know but some of the problems mentioned overlapped with things I had heard. Really the actual reenactment and talking scenes take up about 1 minute the rest is a full song mocking Redfern set to the tune of gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" which is a song most if not all people have heard. the song wasn't too bad either because the chorus was solid and somewhat fit the same as the original lyrics but the verses were somewhat repetitive and poorly executed. The video is successful in relaying the message that Redfern is bad, and its successful because it's set to a popular song that people in college would listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment