Well, um… I am not entirely sure where to start. I guess I’ll
say that I did thoroughly enjoy the class; it was a very fun semester. I don’t
remember if you said that you were trying to become a full time teacher or if
it is just a grad student thing to have to teach English 103. But, if you do
want to become a full time teacher, keep up the good work. If not, well, that’s
a shame; you could be a good one. I definitely enjoyed this class more than
most of the other English classes I’ve taken, and it is probably the only class
I took this semester where everyone knew everyone’s names and talked like good
friends. As much as I love a good lecture, this class was a welcome departure
to liven up my weeks. It did not hurt that the class work was not terribly
difficult. Writing has not, is not, and never will be my strong suit. As such,
I have a tendency to struggle quite badly through most English classes, but
most writing assignments we had in this class were relevant and interesting
enough that it was easy to get into writing about them. Plus one for Ms.
Britenburg (have I spelled it right yet?). Granted while the work was not very
hard, it was copious. I do not think I had more than two Sundays this semester
where I was not procrastinating, trying to start writing the draft of something
that was due that Monday. Granted, I could have used my time more wisely and
not done every assignment at nine o’clock the morning of the due date, but…
well… no.
I
thought that, all in all, you did a solid job teaching English 103. I only
really have one complaint; that being, there was a severe lack of direction on
the major projects, especially the final one. I understand that part of
creating a composition assignment is leaving it open ended for the students to
get creative with it. However, there is a balance that has to be met between, leaving
space for creative minds and making sure everyone is clear on what is expected.
I am going to use the final project as an example because it was the greatest
offender. For the first week of that project our entire group had literally no
idea whatsoever as to what we were going to do for our project because,
frankly, we did not know what the project was. All we knew was make an argument,
use pictures over words, and 3000 words. That was literally all you would give
us; we need more direction than that.
I don’t
want to end on that because you are genuinely a good teacher and you taught a
good class. Also I have thirty words left. I think that you have a natural
talent for interacting with students and have a solid command over the English language.
As such, with a little work, you could make a damn good English teacher. You’re
already a lot better than what I normally expect from a grad student teaching
the course.
No comments:
Post a Comment