I
thought I knew what to expect when I signed up for ENG 103 over the summer
because I had already taken AP English in high school. This class turned out to
be much different than my AP English class and by different I mean better. The
only thing that I took away from my class in high school was how to analyze an
argument. This ENG 103 class went over that, but went so much deeper as well. I
did not feel that the class took a lot of work because it only consisted of
three major assignments, which I liked, but I feel that I was able to take away
more from this class than just how to analyze an argument. We learned how to
make a good argument through a paper, how to tear one apart and how to make one
through a visual form such as our multimedia assignment. I also found it very
helpful that one of the major assignments in the class was a research paper
because it showed me how to do one, which I’m sure will turnout to be very
useful to me later on in my college career. Doing the research assignment also
showed me that I had never really done one before. The ones in high school were
a joke compared the one that I did for this class. I’m also glad that you made
us do an annotated bibliography of our sources because I had never done one of
those before and it, along with the outline you made us do was immensely
helpful when I was writing my research paper. I also enjoyed the multimedia
project for the most part because of how fun filming it was and because of how
informal our paper on it could be. I also enjoyed the fact that you let us pick
our own things to analyze such as the movie posters in the first major
assignment. I felt that that made the assignment easier to do. Only having
three assignments did put a little more pressure on me to do good on each one
but I felt that this was much better than giving us a lot of smaller and more
tedious projects that really could be seen as busy work.
Another thing that I liked about the
class was how informal it was. I liked the laidback, comfortable feeling that I
felt when I was in class. None of my previous English classes that I have taken
were this informal or made me feel this comfortable in class. I also liked that
we did not have to read a lot in this class as I have had to a lot in all of my
other previous English classes. English has always been one of my least
favorite subjects and while this class did not change that, it did make me hate
it a little less. The only thing that I disliked about the class was that you
did not let us pick our groups for the multimedia project, but I can understand
your reasoning behind such a decision.
No comments:
Post a Comment