Monday, December 3, 2012

Final Blog MP


Max Polan
English 103
Ms. Britenburg
This Semester, fall 2012 I decided to take a freshman course, English 103. Yes I said it, freshman course. You’re probably wondering why I stress the freshman aspect about it, and the reason for that is because I am a sophomore. My schedule got a little mixed up so I eventually just took it this semester as oppose to last spring when everyone else in my class did. I came in thinking it might have been one of my more difficult courses that was on my schedule for the semester but as day by day I started to feel more and more comfortable showing up to class. 

I liked the way the class had a sort of ‘chemistry’, in a matter which we could all understand each other in group discussions and debates. I was able to meet new people and friends, even though they                                                                                                                                                                                                               were younger than me and also reflect on my own freshman year and the differences of actions. I also learned a good amount from my classmates and their backgrounds which I found interesting. I thought that made the learning process fun and valuable to my future. One thing I disliked about the class was the way it was set up, the chairs were too small, and we rarely used the white board. Chalkboard is just too old fashioned for us modern day spoiled brats. One other thing I disliked was the fact of how many times we struggled with getting videos up on the screen from the computer, just some minor technical difficulties. 

This class definitely made me want to pursue English because it’s one thing you’ll always have a benefit from in all parts of one’s life. English is so useful that you could learn so much just by reading any novel, magazine, textbook, article, newspaper, and grasp such important information that are discovered in the world and that’s why I think English is really important. I took away a lot of responsibility, social interacting, maturity, and less procrastination from this class which is all vital in my young college career. These classes also made me want to take English 213 next semester which is also a major requirement for me.

I learned that watching inspirational videos and taking time to analyze a piece is very hard to endure, and with that struggle to understand away to create a way to make it easier for yourself, that’s when your really are begging to learn, and make yourself a stronger interpreter. To be completely honest, I had no idea what the curriculum was for this class until reading the curriculum. I thought that English 103 was going to consist of reading 2 books a month, and being quizzed and tested on them, just like my environmental history 124 class I took last semester, and to say the least, that didn't go the best for me. Overall, I don’t regret one bit of taking this course just because I thought that our instructor Erica Britenburg was an excellent representative and was able to teach in a high productive manner for me to better understand English.

No comments:

Post a Comment