Just a waring for those weak of heart this blog post is going to be very honest and i cannot grantee you will like what your reading.
That being said, where to start, there a a lot of things worth mentioning about this class. the first thing and probably one of the things that bothered me the most. OH MY GOSH WHY DID WE HAVE TO BUY THESE BOOKS. Literally a scam that would have made Bernie Madoff proud. We actually used maybe, what like 3 pages of the Envision in Depth book? Sure there were readings assigned in that book but they were pretty much busy work assignments. Everything that was said in the book I'm confident is public knowledge and by that I mean could have been found on the internet, for free. One might argue its easier having all of what we may need in one place but its really not. If I had been assigned readings online I probably would have actually remembered that they were assigned or even remembered to do them. Then there was the Perdue Owl book which, excuse me for literally judging a book by its cover but, when something is printed on lamented pages with that flimsy plastic ring binding I immediately know it is either one of two things; my 5th grade report on the state of Texas, or more accurately, a book full of colorful graphics and lengthy blurbs about sample essays all of this information is almost without a doubt to be found on some free online counterpart or in the library. Come to think of it does our library have the textbooks for classes because why didn't I just do that? I have to be honestly I regret having my parents get these books more than the time I got pissed and threw my moms fruit juicer out the door and breaking it. and that thing was pretty expensive. What I'm saying is after this semester is over I will be repaying my parents in full for those textbooks and profusely apologizing about them. But I digress.... another big thing about the class is that i really dont feel like i learned anything. Whether that be the fault of its design or a fault of my own I cannot say. Sure I now know what "logos", "pathos", "ethos", and "kairos" are but because all these projects were thrown at us rapid fire the class happened too fast for me to register. To put it in terms that might be more recognizable, in our research paper we need a thesis and an implication, that is, what we are trying to argue, and why anyone listening should care. the thesis of this course if I had to guess, was something along the lines of "In this course students will learn how to compose compelling and thoughtful arguments across different mediums (i.e essays, movies, presentations, pictures e.t.c) and learn to apply this knowledge to many different fields as being able to communicate effectively is essential to adult life" now that I just said that I have to say that is one nice blurb, so nice in fact, that I am going to open the course book and see what the actual blurb says so if you'll excuse me for a moment.... well let me tell you, maybe I did learn a thing or two cause this blurb is BORING let me read it to you *this next portion is to be read aloud in my voice* the blurb says as follow " Training in composing correct and effective expository and argumentative essays, including writing documented essays." well obviously my blurb is much better but just one note "correct" and "effective" are worlds apart when it comes to writing.(see: Presidential elections) now back to my point, I was given the thesis of this course, but I never got the implication. My blurb includes an implication but even if something similar to it was said it still would have fallen short. Despite all that there is one thing I did like, this blog being it. As my blogs have shown I am not the best when it comes to grammer. I think this blog is a very useful tool because its a way of expressing ideas without being subject to grammer Nazis. I think more writing classes should have something like this cause a lot of the time people may say something worth hearing but it is disregarded because they misused a semi-colon. THIS HAS BEEN EDITED.
I hope this has been a helpful evaluation. i do have more general comments but alas tis the season (of finals) and im seriously concerned about my math grade im actually emailing my teacher right now asking him a reasonable bribe for a passing grade cause honestly i barely understand integration let along logarithmic differentiation like seriously, i just got an honorary doctorate from devry just for saying that word.
good night and good luck to you all on your finals,
Franklin
No comments:
Post a Comment