Friday, December 7, 2012

Final Blog


Nickalas Reynolds
Final Blog
            In the beginning of the year I was skeptical about joining a composition class instead of a literature class. I love to read, especially books that are considered classics like Leo Tolstoy. Also, since I was in AP English Literature and Composition in high school, the class at first seemed like it was going to be a huge waste of time. However, even though I made a 4 on the AP exam, I did not wish the carry the class credits. Within the first few weeks, the class was what I was expecting, a composition class. However, within a few weeks, I really grew to like the class. The writing of the research paper and presenting it to a group is fun and exciting. The ability to confidently talk in public and write about your ideas that you have researched is vital for a job. I thoroughly enjoyed the Ted Talks we did and I would have liked to do more. Analyzing rhetorical elements of different media was really fun and helpful. Knowing what the media is trying to portray, what are their underlying ideas, and how are they portraying it are essential in day-to-day life. This ability to critically think allows use to know go out, analyze the media, and understand exactly what they are saying; whether they are biased, what are they promoting, what are their ulterior motives? The one main thing I did not really like or find useful was reading the Envision in Depth book, the examples given did seem to be too “perfect”, almost like it was not a true essay that was graded but one that was made up over a series of debates. Despite all of this, the other book, The DK Handbook, was essential. I really enjoyed the setup of that book. It made looking for the different writing standards really easy.
            Even though I have taken three college level English classes, I still learn new things every time. I pulled a lot out of your class, mainly experience and more examples of certain kinds of works. Your class taught me how to critically think more and figure out what the reader is supposed to understand from the media, what is the underlying point, and how did the author portray it. You fixed a lot of my errors in the essays, which I like because I cannot stand it when professors do not actually read your essay. NO FLUFF. A common notation written on my paper or GET TO THE POINT was said a few times. I like how you taught us what all of our past teachers did not, to not write fluff. The get to the point comment is fairly common and taught me how to write a dynamic research paper. Throughout elementary, middle, and high school, the person with the longest essay would be the one with the highest grade, not the one with the best paper, content and grammar wise.  Over, I thoroughly enjoyed your class and learned a lot from it. You were a great teacher (maybe a little technologically deficient) but a great teacher never the less. Best wishes

No comments:

Post a Comment