Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The last one. Duh duh duh duhhhhhhh



When I first came into this class I was expecting it to be more like a high school English class, with a set list of books to read and a regular schedule to follow throughout the semester, I was glad when I realized what we would actually be doing. Because I was going to have to go through another English class I was dreading the idea, I thought I would not have to have another English class and all my paper writing days were over, but that is not how I felt at the end of the semester. For once I felt like our papers were never rushed and we were given an ample amount of time to complete. The group projects were extensive but easy to complete with the class time given to work on the projects. I enjoyed the class because of the papers we had to write as well as the things we learned about. I felt as if that we weren’t working on materials we have worked with before and I was happy for that change. Also it was great to see that my papers, when graded or corrected, consisted of the same problems that they would have in high school. This allowed me to see that it has not been just one teacher that found the same thing wrong with my papers, but someone else as well. This told me that I needed to focus on this problem and fix it so I would not end up with the same errors in my papers. The way the class was taught was engaging, the only thing I wish was different is there were less powerpoints and more written notes on the board. I tend to pay attention and listen better when the teacher is actually explaining to us as things are listed on the board rather than being read off of a powerpoint. Another thing I took from this class is the ability to correctly distinguish logos pathos and ethos. I never really paid much attention to those literary terms before and now I am pleased to say that I not only understand them but can explain them as well. The various assignments we did using those terms were extremely helpful in being able to ascertain how to actually use them. When asking if there is anything I wish I could quickly forget, I would say there is nothing I can think of. One more thing that I enjoyed about the class was the little grammar session we had one day of class. No matter how long you have been writing for it is still nice to go over basic uses of grammar such as than or then as well as punctuation uses. Even I get these confused quite often. Overall I have been very happy with this class as shown by my attendance. I never felt that it would be a hassle to go to English class, because we always seemed to be doing useful work. Whether it was being given time to work on a paper or project in class or learning new material.

No comments:

Post a Comment